Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Roadster (W113)
The Mercedes-Benz W113 (1963-1971) was manufactured between July 1963 and March 1971.
Mercedes-Benz manufactured 48,912 examples of the 113
||USA ||Other ||Total
|230 SL||1963||1967||113.042||127.981|| 230 SL-E (K4A025)||4,752||15,079||19,831|
|250 SL||1966||1968||113.043||127.982|| 230 SL-E (K4A025)||1,761||3,435||5,196|
|280 SL||1967||1971||113.044||127.983||GA 280 SE (K4A025)||12,927||10,958||23,885|
- Wheel width increased from 5.5 to 6 inches.
- Spare tire well removed; tire mounted horizontally.
- Exhaust manifold changed from sheet steel to cast iron-exhaust head pipes
were changed to match.
- Engine oil dipstick vent and filter omitted. Shape of horn ring changed from round to flattened top segment.
- Gear shift lever bent forward 55mm. Intake air heating coil added ahead of throttle housing.
- Form of crankcase vent line changed from 2 piece metal to 1 piece plastic (the mounting to the valve cover was also changed from a hollow screw to a rubber sleeve.
- The five-speed manual ZF S5-20 transmission is made available as an option.
- Coupe-only version with rear bench seat introduced.
- Engine fan with viscous drive made standard.
- Shape of cooling water tank changed from flat top to round top.
- Water pump made self lubricating.
- Metal loom for ignition wires omitted, replaced by plastic clips.
- Injection pump oil filter cap changed from metal to plastic.
- Seven main bearing engine adopted.
- Coolant capacity increased from 10.8 to 12.9 liters.
- Fuel tank capacity increased from 65 to 82 liters.
- Rear disc brakes introduced
- Front anti-roll bar diameter decreased from 22 mm to 20 mm.
- Symbols added to turn signal switch.
- Instrument panel made in one piece instead of split.
- Interior door handle, lock, window crank changed (the 1967 250SL had the same door hardware as the 230SL; the 1968 250SL had the same door hardware as the 280SL.
- Sun visor mounting changed.
- Shape of horn ring changed again.
- Form of rear view and side view mirrors changed.
- Side reflectors added to fenders.
- Chrome discontinued on windshield. wipers, horn ring, rear view mirror and door strikers.
- Face of ignition lock changed from convex to concave.
- Control knobs flattened.
- Steering wheel hub made collapsible, shape changed.
- Dash top padding rounded.
- Injection pump control shaft changed.
- Brake fluid level warning device added to master cylinder.
- Chrome Strip under rear license plate omitted.
- Number plate moved from front firewall to front door jamb.
- Firewall insulation pad material changed from course to smooth.
- Mirror in passenger sun visor omitted.
- Hardtop front locking handles made separate.
- Solid door pockets changed to elastic.
- Interior material changed from wool boucle to synthetic tufted material.
- Heater and air vent levers made rubber instead of plastic.
- Legend plates added around light switch and heater controls.
- Emergency four-way flasher made standard.
- Floor covering changed from rubber mats to synthetic carpet.
- Headrests added to seats.
- Oil/Coolant-type cooler replaced by oil/air type cooler.
- Angle of oil filter housing changed.
- Covers for sub-frame mounts changed.
- Injection pump oil filter cap omitted.
- Separate intake air heating coil omitted, made integral with throttle housing.
- Rubber sleeve added to crankcase vent line.
- Diaphragm type clutch adopted.
- Wheel-covers made one piece, form changed after chassis number 000045.
- Steering relay lever changed, housing made self-lubricating.
- Lights incorporated in side reflectors.
- Ignition/door/trunk/gas cap keys combined.
- Rear window heating element added, switch in parcel tray.
- Cold start solenoid omitted from injection pump.
- Wheel covers polished to satin.
- Form of wiper blades changed.
- Optional rear axle ratios discontinued.
- New colors added, existing colors changed.
- Number plate moved from front to rear of door jamb.
- Tail light colors changed, lens made separate from chrome.
- New seat fabrics.
- Power brake vacuum line made plastic, moisture trap omitted.
- Cooling water header tank made plastic.
- Form of engine oil filter cap changed from cast screw-on to stamped with bayonet-type mount.
- Shape of intake air box changed.
- Engine oil dipstick tube made longer, dipstick handle changed.
- Temperature sensors added to thermostat housing and cylinder head.
- Idle air housing shape changed.
- Distributor advance/retard speed sensors added.
- Ignition transistorized.
- Wheels changed to pierced with round holes.
← Back to Models